Please note: It is a recommendation (not requirement) for residents to remove food from the waste. All liquids (example: milk, juice, water, etc.) should be dumped out of containers before they are thrown away.
Providing for solid waste disposal needs of a modern society is a difficult task. Harrisonburg is leading the efforts with an "all in one" system for waste and recycling collection. This program does not apply to apartment complexes and businesses with private trash haulers not affiliated with the City's refuse collection service.
What is Single Stream Collection and how does this new program work?
Those who currently receive the city's curbside refuse and recycling collection services will have an easier way to get rid of their household waste and recycling. Single stream collection will accept waste and recyclables in the same container. One benefit of this new program is that everyone in Harrisonburg will now recycle! Residents will no longer have to think about or research which plastics are collected or even how to carry two separate containers to the curb.
Waste and Recyclable Sorting Process [628KB]- Find out what happens to your waste and recyclables once it arrives at the processing facility.
Frequently Asked Questions [158KB]
Solid Waste Management Plan [823KB]
[792KB] Trash collection map.
- Refuse and recycling pickup for holidays: Holiday Schedule.
- Containers are to be placed on the back of the curb on the property line by 7:00am on the collection day and not before 4:00pm on the day previous to pick up.
- For the Downtown Central Business District, containers should be placed out for pick up between 6:00am and 11:00am on the scheduled collection day.
- All refuse should be in leak free bags or containers and not weigh more than 75 pounds or have more than a 35 gallon capacity.
- Bundles: Maximum size = 4 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet high. Maximum weight = 75 pounds. Maximum limb diameter is 2 inches. Must be bounded or tied with a binder strong enough to permit handling.
- If bags or containers fail during handling the property owner or occupant will assume clean up. The trash container should have outside handles.
Businesses, who have city or private trash collection, are still encouraged to recycle the below mentioned items separately and the city will continue to collect from those businesses. Continue setting out the below mentioned recyclable materials as no changes to this program will take place for businesses with regard to these items.
Contact the Public Works Department at 540-434-5928 to schedule frequent pick up.
- Break down and stack the cardboard
- Do not place cardboard in a recycling bin with other recyclables
- White, colored, sticky notes, envelopes, and large mailing envelopes are all accepted
- Construction paper is NOT accepted
- Sort office paper from other materials
Questions? Call Public Works at 540-434-5928.