Harrisonburg's Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan provides a framework for enhancing the safety and attractiveness of walking and biking through on- and off-street improvements and public programs. The current Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan was adopted in 2010 and is now being updated for 2016.
2010 Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan
City Council adopted the updated Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan in July 2010 and the plan was amended in March 2011. Review the current plan below:
[833KB] Bicycle Plan Map
[865KB] Pedestrian Plan Map
2016 Update Schedule
- March 23, 2015 - Project kick off at Bicycle & Pedestrian Subcommittee meeting.
- May 19, 2015/ June 2015 - Public Workshop & public comment period
- Fall 2015 - Stakeholder Focus Group meetings
- Plan Draft Development
- Late 2016 - Public Meeting/ Open House and Public Comment Period
- Public Adoption Process
- Spring 2017 - Anticipated adoption by City Council
May 19, 2015 Public Workshop
A Harrisonburg Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan Public Workshop was hosted on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at Thomas Harrison Middle School, and a public comment period was open through June 17, 2015.
[187KB] Comment Form. You may print and mark up the city maps below to help explain your ideas.
May 19, 2015 Workshop Summary & Information Gathering Public Comment Period
[340KB] Public Comments
July 28, 2015 Presentation to City Council
[440KB] Powerpoint Presentation slides
Fall 2015 Focus Group Meeting Summaries
[241KB] Business & Economic Vitality
- City Biking and Walking webpage - Learn more about walking and biking paths in the city, current transportation projects, Annual Harrisonburg & Rockingham Bike-Walk Summit, design standards and guidelines, City Council adopted plans, and more.
Questions? Contact Erin Yancey, Planning Manager, Public Works Department at 540-434-5928 or Erin.Yancey@harrisonburgva.gov.